As some of you know, I crazily signed up for America's Toughest Road Marathon, the Blue Ridge Marathon , AMERICA'S TOUGHEST ROAD MARATHON, right here in lovely Roanoke, Virginia.
It's APRIL 20th, 2013. SOON enough to commit but far enough away to TRAIN.
Annnnnddd, I'm also an "official blogger" which means that I get to give away one FREE RACE ENTRY to one lucky winner!
First, a little more about the race!
- There's a half-marathon (13.1 miles), a full-marathon (26.2), a 5-person relay option, and the "unofficial double" (start at 2:30 a.m. and then do it again when the marathon starts=52.4miles)
- The full marathon course has over 7,234 feet of elevation changes!
- There are three mountains to ascend, and descend.
- First mountain- from mile one to 7 then downhill 2 miles
- Second climb you get to the top of Mill Mountain
- Third climb is at mile 17 where you meander through some Roanoke neighborhoods (check out the race map below)
- There's other cool stuff like supportive crowds, community art project for the t-shirt design, Pasta dinner with Bill Rogers (and a chance to run with this Legend)
- There is a COOL VIDEO showing you the course!
So, it's a crazy adventure, all the way around Roanoke and in the heart of the Blue Ridge mountains, but you could get a FREE RACE by doing one of the following:
- Comment on the blog with your name and WHAT MOTIVATES YOU TO TRAIN!
- Follow me on Twitter and tell me you want to enter the give-away (@caroline pilgrim): "I want to win a free #runblueridge givaway from @carolinepilgrim because..."
- Tag this link on Twitter to @BRM26pt2 and mention you saw my give-away
- Leave a comment or tag the Blue Ridge marathon page and let me know you did on this blog or Twitter
- If you got my numba', just call me up and let's chat about life and why we run so much anyway!
(Kinda the point of all of this is to ADVERTISE America's Toughest Road Marathon so tagging stuff on Twitter and facebook is kinda the point. Each tag=a contest entry! When tagging include #runchat or #runblueridge)
After you let me know you wanna try to get a free race entry, I'm going to assign your name a number and use a RANDOM number generator to pick! You'll be notified within two days and you can let me know WHICH RACE you want to enter!)
THIS CONTEST RUNS FROM October 15th-20th so you'll be notified the 22nd if you won!
|THE MAP! |
Photos below are from one 5 mile loop I did at Mill Mountain. It's beautiful folks! RUN THE RACE!
|photos on the front side of Mill Mountain|
|This place is beautiful to run on! You'll run down this hill for the 2nd leg of the Half.|
|These woods are what make Roanoke so unique.|
|My friend here is right on the trail and he's pumped to TRAIN! JOIN US!|